Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Beauty of Simplicity

Countless times I have been in a meeting or a service with a phenomenal band, sound system, etc. but it is missing something.  Then out of nowhere something shifts.  Looking back on those times it has been the mention of His name.  It seems so simple in our minds but truthfully that's all it takes for us to go to the next level of worship.

I have learned over the years that keeping my worship focused and simple has a greater impact for the kingdom.  I love how Paul said it when he wrote this in 1 Cor. 2:

1) You'll remember, friends, that when I first came to you to let you in on God's master stroke, I didn't try to impress you with polished speeches and the latest philosophy.
2) I deliberately kept it plain and simple: first Jesus and who he is; then Jesus and what he did-Jesus crucified.

3) I was unsure of how to go about this, and felt totally inadequate-I was scared to death, if you want the truth of it -
4) and so nothing I said could have impressed you or anyone else. But the Message came through anyway. God's Spirit and God's power did it, 
5) which made it clear that your life of faith is a response to God's power, not to some fancy mental or emotional footwork by me or anyone else.


WOW! That is simple yet powerful.  That is the approach that I take to worship and I think we all should take.  I have been in and seen to many services that are about a program and cool lights.  Now I am certainly not saying there is anything wrong with either.  I believe that order has it's place and the atmosphere is important and can actually add to the service but some of the most powerful times we have had as a band and as a ministry have come in the upper room of our Pastor's home and even in a gathering where we were brought to complete silence before the Lord just by uttering His name.

I am still amazed daily at the fact that God chose me to be a part of such an amazing group of people and be part of what He is doing throughout the earth.  My mind cannot comprehend it sometimes.  Knowing that He knew all the wrong I would do and STILL choose me to be a part of His purpose in the Kingdom.....how can I not praise the name of Jesus.  HE IS WORTHY! HE IS HOLY! HE RANSOMED ME FROM DEATH! He has given each of us the opportunity to come to Him and into His presence anytime we wish.  That is not something that I take for granted and non of us ever should.

I believe that we have to come to the realization that God doesn't care about our mess and what we have been through.  He cares about our future and where we are going in Him and what we are destined for.  We have to start looking past our mistakes.  Repent, learn, grow, and move on in Him and under the covering of His grace and mercy that is freely given.  We are called to seek and save those who are lost and we must have victory in our own lives in order to do that. We are a chosen generation for the kingdom of God!  We are people who are called for such a time as this!

Let me leave you with this.  I have a challenge for you this week!!! As Paul wrote in verse 5 above,"your life of faith is a response to God's power, not to some fancy mental or emotional footwork by me or anyone else", let your prayers and declarations come forth in faith.  Each day at least once a day but preferably all throughout the day declare who God is and His power and goodness.  No need to have a super long, drawn out, theological prayer but keep it simple as Paul did.  I can guarantee you that you will see a difference in your week.  God is after those who worship Him in Spirit and in truth and will come to Him and after Him in faith!

Love you all,
-Altars Band-
Josh Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment